jueves, 7 de diciembre de 2023

An appointment with Doctor Murdoch

Dear Reader,

This story begins with the last picture of the story "The Year of the Rabbit" . If you read that story you´ll probably remember the scene of an ocher rabbit lady entering the Blackurrant Café. I promised I would tell you more about her in a new story so this is what today´s story is about.Hope you enjoy it!

****************************************************************

After getting off the bus, the smell of freshly brewed coffee and pastries led Emily to the Blackurrant Café. After a long trip she needed a cup of coffee and something to eat to comfort her.

When she opened the door she was pleased to find a cozy and inviting atmosphere.


Kate welcomed her and offered her to sit at one of the tables.


Kate and Emily introduced themselves and chatted for a while.
Emily told her that she had come to Sweet Berry Valley because she had an appointment with Dr. Murdoch. 
Kate didn´t want to ask the reason for her appointment but she told her that Dr. Murdoch was a very good doctor and that she would be in good hands.


Kate gave her directions to the hospital and then asked her if she wanted something from the menu.Emily ordered a coffee with whipped cream and a cheese salad roll.


Shortly after,  Marion brought her order to the table.
Emily and Marion struck up a conversation and realized they had a lot in common. Marion wished her good luck and Emily told her that she would like to meet again soon.


Emily was glad she went into the Blackurrant Café instead of going straight to the hospital. Kate and Marion made her feel so comfortable and welcomed that she had the feeling that things would go well in Sweet Berry Valley.


When Emily finished her roll and her coffee, she followed Kate´s directions and arrived at the Country Hospital within minutes.


The waiting room was crowded. Emily said hello and then approached the reception desk.


The nurse at the reception desk is Brie Maces. She is the school nurse but after school and when the children are on vacation she helps out at the hospital. Sweet Berry Valley´s population has increased and the birth rate has gone up too so there are more patients to take care of. 

"Good morning. My name is Emily Nightingale and I have an appointment with Dr. Murdoch".

"Nice to me you Emily! Welcome to Sweet Berry Valley! Dr. Murdoch told me to let you into his office as soon as you arrived so please, follow me.He´s waiting for you".


Nelson Puddleford who overheard the conversation between Brie and Emily, stood up from his seat and approached them with an unfriendly face.
"Excuse me, but I think I heard that this young lady, who has just arrived, is going to see Dr.Murdoch without waiting for her turn. This is totally intolerable! Waiting for your turn is one of the rules that every good citizen must respect, just in case you didn´t know yet!.This incident should be reported to our police officer, Bobby Roberts!. I´ll take care of letting him know so that he can take the appropriate action on this matter".

Emily was so astonished that she was unable to utter a single word.


Just when Brie was about to give Nelson an explanation, Mrs. Chocolate confronted him.

"How dare you to question Dr.Murdoch´s decision?!You´re taking things too far, Nelson! Stop overreacting! If Dr.Murdoch wants this lady to come to his office, he must have his  good reasons for it.He knows what´s he´s doing.
By the way,a good citizen must also be kind and friendly.You should know that an important rule in our village is making newcomers feel warmly welcomed instead of threating them to report the police officer for intolerable behaviour!.


The commotion coming from the waiting room , made Dr.Murdoch come out
to see what was going on.

"What´s all the fuss about? He asked Brie in a calm voice.
Brie told Dr.Murdoch what had happened.


The first thing that Dr.Murdoch did was to greet Emily and give her a warm welcome.


Then, he talked to Nelson to try to calm him down and ,apparently,he  succeeded in doing so.


When the waiting room became quiet again, Dr.Murdoch took Emily to his office.
The reason for Emily's visit to the hospital was to work there as a nurse. 

A few weeks ago Dr.Murdoch phoned his older brother, who is a prestigious proffessor at the Sylvania Medical School,to ask him if he knew any good nurses who were looking for a job.

"You´re in luck, brother! I know someone who has experience as a nurse and has also studied two courses to become a doctor. She´s hard-working, kind,caring and totally reliable.Undoubtely,she´s one of the best nurses I have ever met.


Dr.Murdoch trusted his brother´s opinion completely so when Emily got in touch with him, he offered her a job.

A week later Emily arrived at Sweet Berry Valley.She was looking forward to getting started in her new job.

"I have my uniform in my suitcase. I can start working right now, if that´s OK with you". 

Dr.Murdoch was pleasently surprised that Emily was so eager to get to work.



Emily changed her clothes and Dr.Murdoch introduced her to Clarice who had just checked on a baby kitten born a few days ago.Clarice was delighted to have a co-worker.


Clarice ,who has been working closely with Dr.Murdoch for a long time, suggested to him that it was necessary to hire someone else.The number of patients was increasing and there was a high workload for the two of them.

After meeting Emily, Clarice went to the waiting room.

"Mrs. Grunt,it´s your kid´s turn.I´ll check Little and Tiny".
"Mrs. Chocolate,you´re next. Dr.Murdoch will see you in a minute".


Nelson Puddleford got up from his seat in a fury.

"And what about my ducklins? I´m sick of waiting! I have to take stock at my shop!I´m a busy duck!I can´t be waiting here forever!"

"Please, calm down, Mr. Puddleford. It´s true that the appointments have been delayed for a short time, but don't worry. Your triplets will get their vaccines and you´ll be able to leave in a few minutes." Dr.Murdoch said, trying to calm down Nelson who was really upset.


Suddenly, Emily walked into the waiting room.

"I would like to introduce our new nurse Emily Nightingale" Dr. Murdoch said raising his voice

"Nice meeting you, Mr. Puddleford. Will you please come with me? I´m going to administer the vaccines to your kids".Emily told Nelson with her best smile.


Strangely enough, knowing Nelson´s personality, he apologized and even took off his hat.


"Well done, Nelson! You see, I was right.The doctor had his reasons for the lady to go in first.Let me give you some advice. You´re a young fellow so stop acting like a cranky old man.Behaving like this is not a good example for your kids.Don´t be so bitter!.On your way home, stop by my son´s cake shop and tell him I sent you.Please have something sweet! It´s my treat."

Mr.Puddleford was about to tell her something he might later regret so this time he bit his tongue.Deep inside he knew Mrs. Chocolate had a point and he should change his attitude.His wife Beth has told him the same a thousand times.


Nelson was sorry he had overreacted. Emily's warm and friendly attitude made him become more relaxed and gentle. 
Maisy ,Sammy and Tom liked the new nurse very much.She made them laugh to keep them calm before giving them their vaccinations. 


Mr. Puddleford followed Emily and the triplets offered to helped her push the trolley to the nurse´s office.
Emily was ready and happy to start working at the Country Hospital.


Brie Maces called her husband Cecil, the village photographer, to  ask him to come to the hospital to take some pictures.

Here is Emily after her first working day. Everything went well. As strange as it may seem ,Nelson Puddleford congratulated her for giving the vaccines to his triplets without making them cry and he even told her he was glad she had got a job at the Country Hospital.


This is a picture of all the staff.


Dr. Murdoch's older brother showed up by surprise, which made the day for Dr. Murdoch and for Emily.


Finally, a picture of the two brothers. They don´t look much alike but both are very intelligent and very good professionals.


***************************************************

Hope you enjoyed meeting Emily Nightingale and, also,Brie Maces and Dr. Murdoch´s brother. I had these sylvanians for a long time but it´s the first time that they have appeared in one of my stories.

I got Dr.Murdoch set by Tomy a few years ago. I was very lucky to find it brand new and at a very good price. It´s funny the difference in size between the two versions of doctors, isn´t it? 

I got Emily Nightingale and Brie Maces second hand. These two nurses will be a great help at the hospital from now on.

See you soon!
Hugs!



10 comentarios:

  1. Hi Cutata. What a lovely story!

    It's great to see Emily join the medical staff. I like the colouring of the Nightingales, and when the Sunny rabbits and Ocher rabbits were later issued, I felt that they should be related to one another. Most of my medical staff were second-hand too, and I found it enjoyable as the staff slowly came together.

    I like the sense of familiarity when you bring together familiar faces/names/occupations - like Marion, Brie, Cecil, Bobby Roberts, Emily and the Murdochs of course. It was splendid to see such a wide range of patients too. Nelson was a grump wasn't he! 😄

    The photos and details are super as always. I like your Doctor's office and the inclysion of a typewriter. I was thinking of getting one from SSK - Dolls Boutique. Whilst my Darcy has his office computer, Jackson isn't as technical so might find a typewriter useful!

    Great to see another of your stories. Take care and have an enjoyable festive season. 😊

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Jackson!
      Thank you very much for your comment!

      The rising birth rate in Sweet Berry Valley is the main reason why more medical staff is needed.Fortunately, none of the villagers have serious health problems.

      Nelson is a grump indeed although he is not so grumpy as he used to be. Since he moved to Sweet Berry Valley he is a little more friendly and empathetic, but he still has to improve, I hope so.

      As for the typewritter, I think Jackson would love to have one. You should get one for him. He would appreciate it.

      Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

      Eliminar
  2. hi!! i just found this page super recently and you've inspired me to make my own little creations :) i'm working on growing my sylvanian collection right now. thank you for being awesome :D

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Kat!
      Thank you so much for your kind words!
      Sylvanians are adorable and adictive. It makes me happy to hear my blog has inspired you to make your own creations. I´d love to see them.

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

      Eliminar
  3. I found your blog some time ago. You’re very creative, and a wonderful writer. Sylvanian Families really come to life in your hands. Thank you for sharing.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi!
      Thank you very much for your kind words!
      I´m happy to know you like my blog!
      Comments like yours encourage me to keep going with my blog even though I don't have much time to set up scenes and write stories.
      Hope you enjoy the festive season. Happy New Year!

      Eliminar
  4. Hi Cutata! Thank you for this sweet tale!

    This has made me want to get out my hospital sets again! I don't have a hospital building, but I have some of the various nurses, doctor and a dentist. I have always admired the Cottage Hospital, and yours is marvellous! It looks very well set up and a great place to work - when you're not dealing with grumpy patients haha! I actually like how you brought this into the story though - it was interesting to encounter a Sylvanian with slightly different views! But good on Mrs Chocolate! I'm glad she reprimanded him!

    I'm very happy for Emily in her new job! Don't the staff all look so sweet in their uniforms!

    I hope you are having a lovely January so far!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Kelsie!

      Thanks a million for your kind words!

      The Cottage hospital is a cute building but if you have nurses, a doctor and a dentist you can set up your own clinic using a cardbox.

      Nelson is a real character! If Nelson wasn't so grumpy he wouldn't be the same.

      You´ll see the cottage hospital and their medical staff again when I finish the story of the arrival of the Splashy´s baby. Poor Amanda is still expecting!

      Have a lovely day!

      Eliminar
  5. Hi Cutata!

    I really enjoyed your story, as always. Wonderful pictures! It's wonderful that you added the adorable Emily Nightingale to your clinic's staff. And what a wonderful staff they are! Love the two Murdoch brothers and nurse Brie Maces. Sweet Berry Valley's villagers are in good hands!

    Haha, gotta love Nelson being Nelson! He's full of personality, much like Daisy Buttercup. I loved how he listened to reason in the end and respectfully took his hat as an apology to Emily. Patricia Chocolate was a heroine too, haha.

    Thank you for another wonderful post! Sending warm thoughts your way, my dear friend.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Ayrell!

      Thanks very much for your comment!

      Sweet Berry Valley needed more medical staff. I think the waiting room won't be so crowded from now on.

      Nelson seems to have taken a liking to Emily. She is such a lovely nurse that when he goes to the Cottage hospital he always wants her to take care of him and his kids.He waits patiently in the waiting room until she is able to attend to him.

      Amanda Splashy will be in good hands when she goes into labor. Hope to finish the story soon.

      Have a nice day, my friend!

      Eliminar