martes, 25 de julio de 2023

The Year of the Rabbit : A lucky Rabbit arrives at Sweet Berry Valley

Dear Readers,

Hope you are all doing well.

I´m afraid I haven´t been able to keep blogging as often as I meant at the beginning of the year. 

I´m enjoying my summer holidays at the moment. That means I´m more relaxed and have more free time to "sylvanianing" again.

Today´s story was inspired by  the March challenge#3: Year of the Rabbit in the Sylvanian Families Collector Community. 

This is my very late (and long) contribution to this challenge.

********************************************************************************

It was nearly closing time at the Blackurrant Café. Alex Periwinkle was cleaning up after another busy day when the door opened.

His parents,Mabel and Mack,entered the Café.

"Good evening, son!"

"Good to see you! A cup of tea, mother? Coffee for you, father?" He offered.

"Thank you Alex but we´re not here for tea or coffee. We just want to have a word with you."

Alex who had heard those words coming from his mother before,  wasn´t in the mood for a lecture.He knew there was no choice to run away so he offered his parents a seat.


"Well, I´m all ears" he said without too much enthusiam.

"I can read your mind so I´ll get straight to the point" Mabel gave her son a knowing smile and continued talking.

"Look Alex, you´ve been working too much for the past four months.It´s hard to run the café on your own.Things were different when Kate was here with you but she´s busy enough taking care of the twins and she also needs some help.What I´m trying to say is that you should hire someone to give you a hand and then you..."


"But mother! We can´t afford it! Alex interrupted her.


Before Alex could say the next word , his father said:"Son, money is not everything. You have a wife and five kids waiting for you at home.You should spend more time with them.You look tired and you deserve a break".


Alex kept listening to his parents, nodding his head from time to time. Deep inside he knew they were right.He was exhausted and felt stressed when the café was crowded.



The twins were already four months old and he hardly had time to be with them. When he gets home they are fast asleep but, as most babies do, they have the habit of waking up crying in the middle of the night so it was ages since he had a good night sleep.He knew Kate was tired too even though she ever rarely complains.

"I really appreciate how much you care about me but I´ll have to talk to Kate about it.And now, if you don´t mind I´m going to keep cleaning up otherwise I´m going to get home when everybody is in bed" Alex said with a smile.


Mabel and Mack gave Alex a hand to clean up and they left the café.


When Alex got home, he went straight to the kitchen.His older children, Rebecca and Oliver were having dinner.

He noticed that Henry´s high chair was empty. He presumed he should already be in bed. He was right. Kate had just put him to sleep.


Alex had a chat with Rebecca and Oliver while they were eating.


Shortly after, Kate went back to the kitchen. She looked tired but she smiled at Alex and they gave each other a hug.

"How was your day, love?" Alex asked his wife.

"Not too bad, except when the twins were crying non stop for two hours.I didn´t know what was wrong with them".

"What about you? You got home later than usual. Was everything ok at the café?"

"Yes, everthing was fine.My parents paid me a visit when I was cleaning up and they held me up for a while.They wanted to talk to me".

"About what?" Kate wanted to know.

"Do you mind if I tell you over dinner? I´m starving!"

"Yes, of course!I´m hungry too!".

Rebecca and Oliver kissed their parents good night and went up to their bedroom.


Alex told Kate about their parents´ suggestion of hiring someone to give him a hand at the café.

"What do you think, Kate?" I´m not sure if we can afford paying someone a salary and still make enough money to pay the suppliers, the bills,the mortgage...

Kate held Alex´s hand and looked into his eyes.


"I agree with your parents, Alex. I have never told you before but I considered this idea even when the two of us were working at the café.If we want to give a good service to our customers we need someone to give us a hand at peak times.

"Now, with the arrival of the twins, we should prioritize family time.I´d rather have less money and be happier,Alex".

"You´re right,Kate.You´re right.Family should always come first and to be honest with you, I really need a break to recharge".

After weighing the pros and cons, the decision was made. They just had to put and ad on the local paper, a sign at the café door and wait for the applicants.



The next day, Alex arrived at the café and got everything ready for the first customers.He was placing the menu board outside when Tanya appeared pushing her sweet cart.

"Good morning, Alex!" 

"Morning, Tanya! I´m glad you passed by. I promised the kids I´d buy them some sweets so you saved me a walk to your sweet shop. Can I have three lollipops and a bag of sweets, please?

Tanya handed him the sweets and asked: "Alex, would it be possible to book a table for today around half past five?.

"A cousin of mine is coming to Sweet Berry Valley.I told her the Blackurrant Café was the first place I visited after arriving at the village six years ago.My cousin told me she would like to stop for tea before going to my place. For some reason,she thinks following the same steps I took after I arrived at Sweet Berry Valley would bring her good luck.The Butler´s walked me to your place to have something to eat.I will always remember how kind you and Kate were to Munchie and me!You made us feel at home straight away.Ah!And the food was so tasty!"

"I´m glad you have good memories of the first day you arrived at the village.I hope your cousin feels the same way.As for the table, no problem.I´ll book it for you.Will Munchie come too?"

"No, Munchie is in Finland . He went to visit his friends and siblings. He´s happy here but he misses them.My brother Pete and his girlfriend Peace will come too"

"A table for four, then" Alex said.

"That´s righ! Thank you,Alex"

"See you later, Tanya"

"See you, Alex"

Alex entered the Café and prepared breakfast for Dr. Murdoch who was always the first customer. He enjoys reading the paper during breakfast before heading to the clinic.

Breakfast time was usually busy but not as much as lunch time.
Too much to handle just for one person!


"I´ll be with you in a minute" Alex told Arthur who was waiting at the take-away counter.

:

"Excuse me, Alex Periwinkle but that´s exactly what you said to me more than fifteen minutes ago and my mother and I are still waiting outside!.I´m going to eat the plant we have on the table unless you bring us our order right now! Daisy blurted out.

"I´m really sorry, Daisy but I´m not an octopus!. I´ve only got two hands and I´m trying my best. I´ll make up for the delay. You´ll get free drinks. Is that OK with you?" Alex sounded overwhelmed and annoyed.

" That´s fine! And a piece of free cake would be nice too, if you don´t mind!" Daisy added.

Arguing with Daisy was the last thing he needed when he was under pressure.He had to bite his tongue in order not to tell her a couple of hard truths right to her face. Instead he took a deep breath and said to himself "The customer is always right". 

After that run-in with Daisy he was totally convinced he needed some help,the sooner the better.

When lunch time was over, Alex reserved a table for Tanya.


Apart from the incident he had with Daisy, the rest of the day went well. The café wasn´t as busy as in previous days so Alex felt much more relaxed and happy to be able to give a good service to his customers.

"Here you are.Raspberry tea, sandwiches and cupcakes. Enjoy your afternoon tea".Alex said to Mildred and George Mulberry.


Shortly after half past five Tanya,her brother Peter, their cousin and Peace arrived at the café.


Alex had just prepared a coffee for himself when Tanya and her relatives entered the café.


Alex greeted them cheerfully and they greeted him back with a smile.



Tanya introduced her cousin to Alex.
"This is my cousin Marion".
"Nice to meet you, Marion and welcome to Sweet Berry Valley".
"Nice meeting you too,Alex"


After making some small talk to Marion, Alex walked them to their table.


They ordered a jar of orange juice



and a plate of sandwiches, salad and fries.



When they finished the food, Alex went to clear the table.
"Was everything OK?" he asked.
"Everything was fine,Alex. The sandwiches were delicious" Marion said.
"Tea or coffe, anyone? Alex offered.
"No thanks,we´d better go home. It´s getting late and you still have to clean up the place before closing".Tanya said.


They stood up and approached the counter.Tanya took out her wallet and asked:
"How much do we owe you, Alex"?
"Nothing at all. It´s my treat".
Even though Tanya insisted on paying for the food and the drinks, Alex didn´t let her pay.
They all thanked him for his hospitality and generosity.


Before they left, Alex talked to Peace and asked her:

"Peace, I was wondering if you would be interested in working at the café. Kate and I are looking for a waitress to give us a hand.I´m going to put this sign on the door before going home. Hope to find someone soon."



"Thanks, Alex. I really appreciate that you offered me the job but ,to be honest with you, working at a café is not my thing, specially when it gets too busy.I´m not used to work in a fast-paced environment.I think this job would suit Marion perfectly, Peace said ,looking at her.




Tanya was about to say the same.
Marion has lots of experience as a waitress. She has worked in several coffee shops and cake shops in Town.Now she´s working in the City Grand Hotel as a waitress, not only serving daily meals at the restaurant but also at special occasions such as weddings and other important events.

"I agree with Peace!" Tanya exclaimed." This job is perfect for you, Marion!"
The truth is that Marion was looking forward to leaving the big city and moving to a village closer to her family.She lived on her own in a small apartment in Town that cost half of her salary. She enjoyed her job at the hotel but she felt lonely and a bit down living in the city away from the green fields and her loved ones.

(This picture is not mine. It´s an official stock picture of Sylvanian Families Town series)


"What do you think Marion?" Tanya asked her cousin.
Peter also encouraged her to take the job and move to Sweet Berry Valley.

The idea of moving to Sweet Berry Valley and living near her cousins was a dream come true for Marion. She could even live with Tanya in her cottage! She couldn´t believe her luck! She has just arrived and she´s been offer job ed athat really suits her and gives her the chance to change her life. 

Marion took her time before giving an answer but after a short while she said:"Well...I guess this opportunity comes once in a lifetime so I´d better take it. I´d like to work at your café, Alex, if that´s Ok with you and your wife".



"This is great news, Marion! Alex exclaimed with delight.
"Peace and your cousins think this job really suits you.Would you mind telling me about your work experience?" Alex asked.
Marion summarized her work history and gave him details about her experience, skills and abilities.
Alex was truly impressed. He didn´t have any doubt in his mind that Marion was the right person for the job.

"Marion,I would like you to meet my wife and my kids. Why don´t you come for tea tomorrow.Since the twins were born we close the café on Sundays so we´ll be at home." 
"We have to talk about working conditions, your salary..." Alex said.
Marion accepted the invitation without hesitation. She was over the moon! 


Alex couldn´t wait to get home to tell Kate the good news.
Kate was doing the washing up when Alex came into the kitchen.
He told her all about Marion. "Kate, she´s the best for the job.She´s a lovely girl with lots of experience. She´s simply perfect!She´s coming tomorrow.I´d love you to meet her.If you like her we can hire her."


The next day,Marion went to the Periwinkle´s home for tea. She brought a box of sweet treats that she made herself.She was also an excellent pastry chef. The door was beautiful and she admired the intricate details before knocking on it.The Periwinkles have recently moved to a lovely house. With the arrival of the twins they needed a bigger place than the cottage they used to live.


Alex opened the door and greeted Marion warmly.
"Hi Marion! It´s great you´re here. Welcome to our home! Come on in! My family is looking forward to meeting you"!


Kate went to the hall to greet and welcome Marion.
"Nice to meet you,Kate.I brought some sweet treats I made this morning.I thought the kids would like them."
"That´s so kind of you!We all have a sweet tooth in this family.Thanks very much, Marion." Kate exclaimed.
"Let´s meet the rest of the family. The kids are in the living room".


Rebecca and Oliver were watching TV. They greeted Marion with a friendly smile.

Litlle Henry was rocking on his toy horse. Marion has a soft spot for toddlers and babies and she found Henry adorable, specially when he asked her if she had any sweets in her bag.


"And these are the twins, Hannah and Lara" Alex said.
"You´re so cute! Hi Hannah! Hi Lara!" Marion said in a high-pitched voice.


Lara seemed to like Marion and Kate liked her too. She had to admit Alex was right when he said Marion was a lovely girl.She was kind, sweet and had such a pleasant manner that it was easy to like her. 
 

"Tea is ready!" Alex said as he came into the living room pushing a tea trolley. 


Alex went back to the kitchen to get Marion´s cakes and some sandwiches. "These cakes look delicious!"Oliver exclaimed.Can we have one?" Rebecca asked. 
"Of course you can, get a sandwich and a cake and go to the garden.Get something for Henry too. Mum and dad have to talk about work with Marion".


Kate turned off the TV, sat next to Alex and said "Let´s talk business".It was the first time that Marion had a job interview in such a cozy atmosphere. She was relaxed and felt at ease. Kate and Alex were very friendly and she really enjoyed talking about her previous jobs, her life in Town, her hobbies...
Alex and Kate told her about working hours, salary, responsibilities...Marion accepted the working conditions gladily , they were fair enough.



Kate and Alex complimented Marion on her cooking .
"Wow,this blueberry tart is very tasty!" Kate said.
"The strawberry mousse cake is out of this world!" Alex exclaimed.
"Thank you.I enjoyed make them.Do you want me to make sweet treats for the café?If there is an oven I can bake them early in the morning".
"That will be perfect!You´ll get a well deserved bonus!"Kate replied.

 Once they all agreed on the working conditions, Kate, Alex and Marion enjoyed  a lively conversation until the babies started crying. "I´d better go home",Marion said."Hannah and Lara must be tired".


The whole family walked Marion to the front door to say goodbye.
Once Marion left,Alex asked Kate "Well, what do you think?
"You were right. She´s just perfect for the job and I really like her. I have the feeling we can become good friends"Kate responded with a broad smile.



A week later,once Marion left her job at the Grand Hotel and packed all her stuff,she moved to live with her cousin Tanya and started working at the Blackurrant Café. She likes to wear the white apron her mother made for her when she started working at one of the most popular coffe shops in Town.
She´s an early bird so every morning she comes in early to bake cakes, ice buns and fruit tarts. While the cakes are in the oven she makes sure the café is spotless.


Since Marion is working at the café, Alex feels much more relaxed even when the café is packed. Customers who like sitting at the outdoor terrace don´t have to wait for a long time to be served any more.



Alex and Kate take turns to be at the café. Kate missed the lively atmosphere of the café  and chatting with the customers so she is happy to be back working.


Marion gets along well with all the customers.She knows how to deal with all type of customers even with the demanding and fussy ones such as Daisy Buttercup who ,surprisingly, took a liking to Marion since the first days they met.


Marion can perfectly run the café on its own. Her multitasking skills and glowing personality make her a talented waitress even under Mrs. Periwinkle´s watching eye.



"This girl is worth her weight in gold". Mrs Periwinkle said to herself.
She is totally right. Since Marion is working at the Blackurrant café the business is running better than ever. The Periwinkles are much happier and Marion is also delighted with her new job and life in Sweet Berry Valley.


No wonder Marion is over the moon! I bought the waitress set seven years ago so it was high time to set her free from the box. There´s no doubt 2023, the year of the Rabbit, brought her good luck!



By the way, have you noticed that a new rabbit customer has just entered the café?. Any idea who she could be? Can you guess? 

See you soon! 

Hugs!



9 comentarios:

  1. Hi Cutata!

    So happy that you're feeling more relaxed and motivated to play with your Sylvanians! :)

    I enjoyed this wonderful story very much! As always, your pictures are flawless and your figures so cute and expressive. I especially love one of the latest pictures, the one with Mabel Periwinkle looking approvingly at Marion. Just lovely!

    I love that you used the figure of Marion Brighteyes, the canon owner of the Blackcurrant Café, for this story. What a wonderful idea! She's adorable and I love all the tiny items she came with. Flair sets were so special!

    I think the Periwinkles had the rigjht idea hiring Marion. Now they'll be able to spend more time together as a family and their customers will be happier as well. Daisy was a hoot as always, haha. Loved seeing your grandparent figures. So jealous! They are adorable.

    So many tiny pastries and cakes in this story! Adored seeing them.

    I'm very intrigued about that new rabbit at the end! Who could she be? I thought she was a Sunny rabbit but maybe she's an Ochre?

    Have a wonderful rest of the day, my dear friend!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Ayrell,

    Thanks a lot for your kind words! I´m glad you enjoyed the story.

    When I bought the waitress set , the Periwinkles were already the owners of the Blackurrant Café . I´ve always wanted Marion to work at the Café, as you say she´s the canon owner in the Sylvanian world.
    This forum challenge was the right opportunity to bring Marion to life in Sweet Berry Valley.

    The rabbit that got into the café at the end was also going to be part of the story but I changed my mind and I just took this kind of sneak pic.

    I´m not totally sure but I think she´s neither an Ochre nor a Sunny rabbit. The color is more similar to the Ochre family but she´s not part of the Easy Buy family sets.

    I´ll probably write a short story to introduce her. Meanwhile I´ll keep you intrigued :) Ha ha!

    Have a nice day, my friend! A big hug!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. A beautiful story, Cutata! I went through it at least twice - once to read the story through, then again to enjoy the photographs in more detail.

    What a range of beautifully decorated & placed sets! The lilac decor of the café is just right, complete with lovely touches like the tablecloths. All those painstakingly arranged accessories bring the scenes to life, alongside your placement of the critters to maximise their character. The opening photos with Alex sweeping the floor, the chairs upended on the tables, set the bar for another high standard blog post. Truly inspiring.

    I like the range of characters you bring to your stories, giving Sweet Berry Valley the feel of a bustling community. Great to see Marion Brighteyes introduced to your village, in both leisure and working clothes. Super to have Tanya, Munchie, Peter and Peace in there too, plus the bossy Daisy!

    The new bunny looks like a Nightingale to me. Is she going to be a nurse in your village? I do like the colouring of the Nightingale/Sunny/Ochre bunnies. I really must decide how to employ this growing family group in Mellowdene. So many inhabitants now, and they all need to be given suitable jobs and roles in stories!

    Have a wonderful August, dear Cutata! Bye for now!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Jackson!

    Thanks a million for your kind words! I really appreciate your positive feedback!

    This story took me a good while to finish because I took lots pictures and had to set up different scenes with lots accessories (which I knocked down by acccident on several occasions :( I also used lots critter to give the feeling that the café was bustling with activity so it was necessary for The Periwinkles to hire someone . Marion was perfect for the job!

    As for the new bunny, you guessed it right! She´s Emily Nightingale!

    Mellowdene population has grown a lot since you first started your collection. With so many critters is not always easy to find jobs and roles for everyone but you always have great ideas to fit them in your village perfectly.

    Have a nice weekend,my friend!



    ResponderEliminar
  5. Gorgeous story, Cutata! Everything about it was wonderful, the characters, the story, but most of all the pictures! They literally look professional! I'm particularly in awe of the one capturing Mrs Periwinkle looking in to check Marion's work! How did you manage to capture that watchful expression in her face?

    So heartwarming. I really love the Periwinkles' house. It looks so lovely and cosy! And I'm so happy for Marion and also Alex and Kate. It was a perfect situation for everyone!
    In fact, I admired the Periwinkle family in this so much, perhaps I need to add them to my own collection, hehe! ;)

    I'm very excited to see what happens next in Sweet Berry Valley! Thank you for this beautiful story! Lots of love <3

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hi Kelsie,

    Thanks a a lot for your kind words! It makes happy to know you enjoyed this story.

    The photo shoot for this story took me a long time. Getting a good picture involves taking lots of photos from different angles. Believe or not, I took 18 pictures of Mrs Periwinkle looking in to check Marion´ work! Luckily , one of them one of them turned out well.

    The Periwinkle family is one of the first I bought when I started my collection.You should get them at some stage. Recently, a new version of this family has been released. I would like to buy this family again just for the new outfits they´re wearing! They´re lovely!

    I'm about to finish a story and I have two more in mind so stay tuned to see what happens
    next in Sweet Berry Valley.

    Have a nice day! A big hug!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Such a lovely story, Cutata, and such beautiful photos! You really do have a talent for capturing character and atmosphere, making your Sylvanians come alive! Sorry it has taken me this long to read it, I am trying to catch up with everyone's stories!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi GreyRabbit!
      Thanks a lot for your kind comment! I´m glad you enjoyed the story and the pictures.
      Since I went back to work I hardly have any free time for my hobbies so I also have some stories to catch up with. I wish I had more time for "sylvaning" but real life keeps getting in the way.
      Hope you, your family and all the residents of Macadamia Grove are doing well.
      Have a great day! Hugs!

      Eliminar