martes, 27 de febrero de 2018

Crafting miniature challenge 4: Gold, Silver and Bronze

Dear Readers,

The  fourth sylvanian forum crafting  challenge was inspired in the gold, silver and bronze medals of the Winter Olimpics but it was not limited to these three metals. It was actually about metal materials and metalic colours including metalic paints.

I had never made any miniatures using metal or anything that looked like metal and I hadn´t even used metalic paint before but I decided to give it a go and I came up with some ideas.

The first thing I made was a golden tray out of a  metal bottle cap.

 Melinda´s red berry tart fits perfectly on the tray.


You just have to grab your pliers and bend the border of the cap outwards.


First, I removed the plastic inside and I used that round piece of plastic to turn it into a silver plate ( it can also be used as a  picture frame).I put a very thin silver ribbon all around it and I painted it with silver varnish.





I also made two picture frames.

For the first one I made I used silver braid ribbon that I painted with bronze metalic paint. (Sorry about the bad quality of the framed picture but the printer was running out of ink.Actually, I wanted to put a mirror instead of a picture but I didn´t have any mirror to fit the size of the frame)




I came up with the idea for the second frame when I was drinking a mug of chocolate milk. I looked at the  foil that is under the lid of the chocolate podwer can and I thought I could use it to make something for this challenge.

I´m not very proud of the final result. I didn´t take measures properly and one side of the frame is wider than the other.



I gave it to the the Chocolate grandparents who had always wanted to have a silver frame to put a photo of their wedding day.


The next miniature I made is a mini size version of a white gold necklace my parents gave me as a gift on my 18th birthday.As much as I´m not very fond of jewelery, I really like this necklace.



I also  made a matching bracelet and a pair of earrings.


Salome Persis displayed the set at her dress shop window.



These are the materials I used for another small project.



I made three copper canisters for the 
Hazelwoods ´kitchen.



It´s lunch time and Betty Hazelwood is hungry.
"Are you going to cook some pasta, maybe rice, Betty? "



Nice smell!...You made tomato soup.
"I didn´t" Betty said with a naughty smile.
Did Basil cook it for you? 
"He didn´t" she shook her head.
Then?




Now, I understand. You heated up a can of soup!
Betty admited she is not a good cook.Basil is the one who cooks at home.



As you can see, I also made this can of soup out of a piece of a foil tea light holder.
Actually, I made something else out of it.
I saw this picture on pinterest and even though there was no tutorial I easily figured out how to make a miniature cheese grater.



I cut a paper clip and a piece of a foil tea light.



And I punched small holes on a soft surface.



Voilá!A cheese grater for the Macavities´pizza restaurant!


Alonso is grating some cheese to sprinkle on his delicious pizzas and pasta dishes.


The last miniature I made for this challenge was a pair of candle holders.
I thought this project was going to be easy and fast but it drove me crazy as there was no way to stick the beads together. I tried different types of glue and I got my fingers stuck together but not the metal beads.
Fortunately, I found a glue that did the job and this is the result.





The top and the base of the candle holder is a thumbtack. I used the plastic part that covers the thumbtack as the base, the nail itself is where the candle rests. I painted both parts of the thumbnail with silver nail varnish.I made two different models. For one of them I used earring backs but I liked the one I made with small beads better.
(I also made the candles, pouring hot wax in a straw. After the wax cooled down, I removed the plastic straw with a cutter. You can light them up)





A few days ago, Cameron Moss attended a Mayors  Meeting in Town and he had some spare time to visit the Grand Department Store. Rowena asked him to buy a pair of silver candle holders. Cameron also bought a silver vase and a especial gift for Rowena:a silver bracelet and necklace.

"I know you like silver, dear"
"Aww, thank you Cameron! You are worth your weight in gold".




 And that´s all for this challenge.

Last week, I had two days off work before the weekend so I had plenty of free time to spend making these miniatures.
Hope you liked them.

Thanks for reading!

A big hug!







11 comentarios:

  1. You made so many awesome things! I need to find some of the foil tea light candles, I used a cat food can and it was a bit too stiff to work with. Ludwig needs at least one open can of asparagus:D. I really like the little necklace in the shop window and the significance of it to you ❤️

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for your kind words, IcePixie!I saw the picture of Ludwigs´stock of asparagus cans so I also think you should get a foil tea light candle to make one open can of asparagus for him.

      Eliminar
  2. Wow Cutata! I am amazed by your creativity and clever ideas! I love the cheese grader especially but everything is fantastic! Well done again!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for your kind comment, Sylvanako! Alonzo loves the cheese grater too!

      Eliminar
  3. Wow! They all look amazing though I must say that the copper storage canisters and the cheese grater are my favourite. The cheese grater looks so realistic! Well done!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Thank you for your kind comment, Emily! The copper storage canisters and the cheese grater are very easy to make. I have just read a review about the new village pizzeria on Mimi´s blog and to my surprise it comes with a cheese grater! Grating cheese is much easier now for Alonzo. He is quite happy with it.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Thank you for your comment, Meliscellany!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Great as always! I made the grater which was fun and looks great! The bottle cap plate idea is very creative and they look right at home in my cafe. The candles are making my houses look more cosy too. What were the cannisters made out of? Xx

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hi Isla! It´s great to hear you made the cheese grater, the plate and the candles! That means you liked my mininiatures and that makes me very happy.
    The canisters are metal beads ( there´s a picture on this post), thumbtacks and a tiny piece of fimo, all painted in metalic acrylic paint.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Hi cutata! Yes i do love your miniatures, you should be very proud of them. Thank you fro the insight on the cannisters i will see if i can find the right materials!

    ResponderEliminar