viernes, 26 de abril de 2024

A special World Book Day

 

Dear Readers:

The challenge prompt for the month of April in the Sylvanian Families Collectors Community was:

Challenge #4: Books, Writing & Poetry


April is a month for literary celebrations! World Book Day will be taking place 23 April and the entire month has been designated as Poetry Month. Help your Sylvanians have enjoy a month of exploring poetry, books and writing!

You are more than welcome to any aspect or form of literature, reading or writing that you like.

Make an item or items, photograph a scene, write a story or do whatever inspires you to create a project around the Books, Writing & Poetry theme!


Here is my contribution for this challenge. Hope you like it.

..........................................................................................................................................................

Every year on April 23rd, Sylvanians celebrate World Book Day.

In Sweet Berry Valley, this day is a long-standing tradition of gifting books to loved ones and friends.

Newly purchased books, preloved books and even hand-written stories are appreciated gifts on World Book Day.

Besides music and travel, reading is also one of Peter and Peace's hobbies.


The truth is that Peace has always been an avid reader but Peter read only once in a while and never really got hooked on any book. However, last year on World Book Day,following the tradition, Rockie, Peter's brother, gave him a book that changed his attitude towards reading.


It was “The Sighting” by Stephen Keats. Peter had never read thrillers , mystery or horror novels before. Crime, evil and violence don´t exist in Sylvania so at first Peter was a bit shocked but soon after he was hooked.

Peace is a bit sensitive to dark and scary content but she is happy that her boyfriend has taken up reading.

They go to the library together and when they travel they love to go into the bookstores and browse through the books.

Peter has even taken to writing. Lately he spends time in front of a notebook. Who knows, maybe he will end up writing his own novel.

A few days ago, Peter was reading the newspaper when he came across a piece of news that made his day.

“Peace! Stephen Keats has just released a new book!" He said excitedly.

"It's called Molly and the plot is promising. Another page-turner!"

"It says it's available now in the major bookstores in Sylvania but I'm afraid it will take ages to get to the library.” He said resignedly.


Peace was happy. This would be the perfect book to give Peter on World Book Day.

That same afternoon she went to the Country Market, since there is no bookstore in Sweet Berry Valley, it is one of the best places to buy or order books.

During the month of April Carol and Arthur provide a large space  in the store to display books.

Peace figured it would be hard to find but hoped they could at least order it.

"I'm sorry Peace but I'm afraid we won't be able to have it on time for World Book Day”. New releases take time to get to villages and as we don´t own a proper bookshop we aren´t in direct contact with publisher´s”

Peace was a bit disappointed. She wanted to gift Peter with a book he was really looking forward to reading. She could always go back to the Country Market and buy any other thriller but she was determined to try to get Stephen Keat´s new book.

The first thing that she did was phone several bookstores in Sylvania. Some of them hadn´t received the book yet, others only have some copies available and didn´t send books by mail and a couple of bookshops offered to post the book but didn´t guarantee it would arrive on time due to some postal service issues in their area.

On her way home,Peace met Tanya, Peter´s oldest sister. Peace told her about the book she wanted to get for Peter.

“Why don´t you call your sister? She lives in the Big City, doesn´t she? I´m sure she won´t find it hard to buy the book there.She can post it by express delivery and it would be here in a few days.” Tanya said

“You´re right, Tanya!.That´s a great idea! Thanks a million!"

Peace went back to the phone box. She dialed her sister´s number and waited impatiently for her to answer.

“Hi Hope, how are you doing, sis?"

"Not too bad, Peace,How about you?"

Peace talked to her sister for a while before telling her about the main reason for her phonecall.


“Look, Hope, I would love it if you could do me a favour.I´d like to buy a book for Peter but so far I haven´t been able to find it anywhere.I guess bookstores in Town will have new releases”

“What book is it?” Hope asked.

“Molly by Stephen Keats. I´m not a fan of his books but Peter loves them.Have you heard about him?”

“Of course, I have! It´s actually one of my favourite writers!”

“Are you serious?You never told me about it” Peace was thrilled to hear that.

“You´re in luck, sis! Tomorrow he´ll be signing books in the bookshop of the Grand Department Store and I won´t miss the chance to meet him in person and get a signed book.

I´ll buy another one for Peter and I´ll post it as soon as possible”.

"Oh, Hope!You brightened up my day! Thanks a lot!"

After talking to her sister, Peace felt over the moon.She knew Peter was going to be delighted.

As soon as she left the telephone box, Peace met postman Pete.

“Hi Pete! Good to see you! I´ll be getting a parcel from Town in a few days.Please,if I´m not at home don´t hand it to Peter. It´s his gift for World Book Day and I don´t want the surprise to be spoiled.”

“No worries, Peace!I´ll make sure you get the parcel yourself. I´ll deliver it to you as soon as it arrives.”

The parcel arrived even earlier than Peace expected. Peter was upstairs concentrated in his writing so Peace could hide the book easily.

Finally, World Book Day came and Peace couldn´t wait to give Peter the book. She even got up earlier than him. Since he got into the habit of reading and writing, he stays up later than he used to and then he finds it hard to get up early in the morning.

Peace set up the table for breakfast. She got some croissants and fresh bread from the bakery. A nice breakfast is the best way to start a special day in Sweet Berry Valley.


“Good morning, Peter. You look sleepy”

“I am indeed! I went to bed quite late last night but a cup of coffee will wake me up”.


“Let´s have breakfast then” Peace said pointing to the living room table.


After enjoying breakfast, Peace handed Peter the book.

“Happy World Book Day!"


“Thank you, love!” Peter said smiling.

When Peter unwrapped the parcel he couldn´t believe his eyes.


"Stephen Keats´last novel! Peace! You are the best!"

He hugged her, kissed her and even lifted her up in his arms!


He was even more thrilled when he opened the first page of the book and saw it was signed.

“Wow,Peace, how did you manage to get a signed copy? I guess you went through too much trouble to get me this book.” Thanks so much,love” He said hugging her once again.



“Wait a minute. I have something for you. I´ll be right back”.

Peter gave Peace a little package and a rose.



When Peace opened it, she looked astonished.The cover read “Peace of mind” It wasn´t a proper book but a hand-written notebook by Peter.

Peace looked at him but she was stuck for words.



“But…How… I mean… Did…did you write all these poems?”

“Well,I did. I wrote them for you.They´re nothing to write home about but they´re written with love. I wanted to give you something meaningful and personal.

Peace was in awe. She browsed the notebook , chose a page at random and started reading


In your eyes, I find the dreams I keep

In your smile, the beauty of spring

In your arms, a universe in peace

You´re my melody, my symphony.

With every beat my heart does sing

For you my love, my everything



“Peter, this is the most beautiful gift I have ever been given in my life. These poems are a treasure  I´ll cherish forever.

There is always something special about World Book Day but this year was the best so far for Peter and Peace.

Both were delighted with each other´s gifts,they share the love for reading exchanging preloved books with some friends.They also received a handwritten book of recipes from grandma Pearl Babblebrook(she sends a new one every year).They ventured to try one of her new recipes that turned out pretty well.


They spent the rest of the day reading, chatting and enjoying each other´s company surrounded by books.


.....................................................................

The inspiration to write this story comes from different sources.

The main idea of the story was suggested to me by my friend Florence Holiday, from the Sylvanian Forum. I told her that I was a bit stuck for ideas for this month's challenge and she suggested me the following plot:

Peter's birthday will be soon - and there's one particular series of novels he fancies. The author recently presented a new tome on Springtime Book Fair (Peace has read about it in a newspaper report). It would be fab, if she could get her partner this new book adventure, but it's already sold out/or has not yet arrived wherever she is looking for it. The library had ordered it, but did not receive the book yet.  However, that would not do for a birthday surprise - so what's the thing to do? Peace is browsing the online book shop and places an order. Afterwards, she is carefully watching out for the postman to come, in order to prevent Peter from spoiling his own birthday surprise... As birthday comes, Peter is happily unwrapping his gift and starts reading. It's a page-turner he simply cannot put aside (not even for the birthday cake). In the evening, when Peace is already in bed, Peter is still turning pages and finishes his new book short while before midnight. His best birthday gift, ever!

Thanks a million, Florence! You always have great ideas!👏👏👏


With that main idea in mind I have been adapting the story in my own way.

Another source of inspiration was that I came across Stephen King's latest novel, Holly,last time I went to the library. I borrowed it but have only read a few pages so far . It occurred to me to turn Troy Dante into "Stephen Keats". After all, he is related to the Keats Cats family. 



The idea of giving a book and a rose as gifts on Book Day comes from a tradition celebrated in Catalonia, a region in northeastern Spain. April 23rd coincides with the feast of Saint George (Sant Jordi), the patron saint of Catalonia and World Book Day.The tradition of giving away roses as a symbol of love on the day of Sant Jordi, dates back to the 15th century. Nowadays, it is the  day of the rose and the book, the day of love and culture.


For this story I have made many little books.Some of them I have found on the internet and printed them. For others, I have designed the covers myself.


(Sorry for the bad light)

(I give credit to Sylvanako for the map of Sylvania)

Do you like reading?

Are you reading any interesting books at the moment?

I love reading but I don´t have much time. Let's see how long it takes me to read "Holly". I think Peter is going to finish the book earlier than I do.

See you soon! Take care!



6 comentarios:

  1. Cutata, this is wonderful! It is always nice to catch up with Peter and Peace, and as always their home looks so perfect for them in the pictures, but you have also done so much other work for this story! All your tiny books are so well done, and I loved meeting Stephen Keats.
    Where did you get the bookshelves for the picture in the book store? They are fantastic.
    It was also great to hear about the rose and book day in Catalonia - what a lovely tradition. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi GreyRabbit!
    Thanks very much for your comment! I´m glad you liked the story and hearing about the tradition of "Sant Jordi" in Catalonia. I don´t celebrate it because I´m not from this region but I would love it to be a popular tradition in the rest of the country. I think it´s lovely to exchange books and roses.

    As for the bookshelves, the tallest one is part of a wooden dollhouse living room set I bought some time ago.It´s the same one I used in the Caramel´s Art Shop. I don´t remember the brand. I think it was from Germany. I bought it at a German supermarket chain, Lidl. I don´t know if Lidl operates stores in Australia.The other one is a gift from my friend Amaia, also a forum member.Her husband made it with a 3D printer. The size is perfect for Sylvanians. For the background I used two flashcards of bookshelves that I have at school to teach vocabulary to the kids.

    Have a great day! Take care!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Cutata!

    What a wonderful, sweet and fun story! What a coincidence, I just recently finished reading The Shining (oops, I meant The Sighting!) myself. Like Peter, I'm a big fan of horror and thrillers.
    I loved all the little books you made. You used the two Tuxedo sisters to make The Sighting's cover! I remember mentioning that they made me think of those twins. That made my day haha!

    Florence had a wonderful idea for this story and I love how you made it your own. Adding St Jordi's rose was a really nice touch. It was so sweet of Peace to go to such much trouble for Peter, and for him to write a poetry book for her! So romantic!

    I loved Stephen Keats (genius haha) and his book signing and Hope's mobile phone!

    Your pictures are beautiful and full of details, as always. I enjoyed every single one of them.

    Thank you for brightening up my day with yet another wonderful story, my friend!

    Big hugs!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Hi Ayrell!
      Thanks a million for your kind words!
      I´m happy to know you enjoyed this story and helped you cheer up your day.
      What a coincidence that you have just read “The Shining”!

      Although the twins at the end of the corridor don´t appear in the book, it is one of the images that gave the creeps when I watched the movie. Well, that image and many others (I remember one of an elderly lady in a bathtub that I found really scary). The Tuxedo sisters were perfect to recreate that scene but in cute way.

      I'm glad that Peter, despite his love for thrillers, still has his romantic streak and is able to write love poems.

      I am about to finish reading "Holly". I think Peter has already finished it. I'll have to ask him what he thought of it.These kind of books don't fit in the Sylvanian world.Fortunately, they are science fiction in a world as idyllic as the one of our little critters.

      Have a great week,my friend!
      Warm hugs!

      Eliminar
  4. Hi Cutata! I just love this! I love books myself so I really enjoyed reading about World Book Day in Sweet Berry Valley.

    Peter and Peace are so adorable. They gave each other such thoughtful gifts, and thoughtful ones are always the best presents, no matter how small they may be. I also really liked how Peace's sister was named Hope; not only is it in the same theme as Peace, but it was appropriate because she gave Peace hope when she despaired that she wouldn't be able to get the book!

    I love the details in the signed book! You can actually read the note - and the signature looks how an authentic signature would actually look! It would be interesting to know more about Stephen Keats or any other well known Sylvanian authors. I had wondered in the beginning if there was a connection to Stephen King. I've never read any of his books myself, as like Peace, I'm not a fan of thrillers or horrors.

    I've always wanted to have a library in my village, but have never done it because of the logistics of making so many books. I don't know if I ever will, but I enjoyed seeing the picture of your one!

    I hope you have a lovely month of May!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hi Kelsie,
    Thanks so much for your lovely comment!

    I also love books and I have very good memories of World Book Day as a child. I remember going with my parents to the book fair in my town and looking at all the book stands. My parents would buy me several books. They didn't mind spending money on books.

    I don't buy as many books as I used to because I have no more room on my bookshelves but I often go to the library. I also would like to have a permanent bookstore or a library in Sweet Berry Valley. That was one of my first ideas for this challenge but I didn't have the right building. At least, I was able to set up a scene simulating a bookshop or library. And I always have the Country Market which is good for everything.

    I'm so glad you realized the double reason why Peace's sister is named Hope! I have already mentioned in previous stories that Peace had a sister who lived in the city but I never told her name. Actually, I hadn't even thought about it until I wrote this story. You read my mind, Kelsie!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ResponderEliminar